Sunday, March 16, 2014

Concept Design: Study Models (Site)

As I began to transfer my ideas from 2D to 3D models, site was the easiest one to portray in my opinion. Below, you can see three study models that best portray the Red Hook area to me. I initially wanted start off with the past, present, and future of this area because after the devastating occurrence of Hurricane Sandy, I believe that this site is starting afresh but still has a lot of development to achieve.



#1- As I began to create this model, I wanted to evoke the story of how this area went through many ups and downs with the curvature pieces of corrugated cardboard. Corrugated cardboard has three layers to it; two smooth sides which are on the exterior and one binding piece that resemble a zigzagged form in the middle. If you look closely at the two exterior portions, the side that is close to the binding piece has the outline on the surface which I thought added to my model. I think that this shows how the past will away be prevalent no matter how you disguise it. As the cardboard raps around the plexiglass, you can see that the plexiglass begins to hold all the pieces together even if the direction is not clear.          


#2- In this model, I decided to focus on the approach to the site. The cardboard at the base of the model shows you how the Red Hook area has a major connection by waterway that is easily overlooked. This major connection that was one of the key reasons for devastation in the area; it also welcomes you from the land as well as by water. The circular portion above the cardboard represents the journey of the residents of the site. As the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy shown as moving from front to back in the model, the journey starts off large and over time (moving to the back), the struggle has shrunk but is still noticed. (Please refer to the model on the left.)


#3- In this model, I took the literal visual of the 2D collage into 3D form. I took apart a plastic hanger and pieced it back together. This represents a lot to the site because the Red Hook area prior to Sandy was a close knit neighbor with an amazing waterfront that never foresaw this devastation. Post- Sandy, putting the pieces back together, the plastic hanger would never look the same again just like the Red Hook area.    







 

No comments:

Post a Comment